Monday, August 31, 2009
As hybrid cars gobble rare metals, shortage looms
Worldwide demand for rare earths, covering 15 entries on the periodic table of elements, is expected to exceed supply by some 40,000 tonnes annually in several years unless major new production sources are developed. One promising U.S. source is a rare earths mine slated to reopen in California by 2012.
- ► 2011 (77)
- ► 2010 (113)
- Peak Everything Goes into Food, Water, Basic Metal...
- As hybrid cars gobble rare metals, shortage looms
- Forests -- How to Protect Communities from Climate...
- WCC-3 -- World Climate Change Experts Meet Resourc...
- LEED for New Construction: A Credit-by-Credit Revi...
- Solar Panels and Climate Change Dynamics
- More Sun for Less: Solar Panels Drop in Price
- Religions Going Green, Looking Deeply at Climate C...
- Back to the Psychology of Change, Habit, Global Wa...
- A Telescope, a Church, an Earthworm, a Revolution ...
- Science, Media, Books, The Rock of Ages --
- breaking news --- To Tax, Ban, or Live with the Pl...
- Hire More Spin Doctors, Censoring Science, Stashin...
- Plastic Bags, Shopping, Mindset, Fossil Fuel Misus...
- Food Lessons (in the Pacific Northwest)
- Google 65, Yahoo 19.6 and Bing 8.4. What’s that no...
- ▼ August (16)
Links of Interest
- Architects with Out Borderers -- Seattle
- Architects without Borders
- Architecture 2030
- Architecture Sans Frontieres
- Auto Desk Sustainable Design
- Autodesk - Guide to Sustainable Design
- Cascadia Region Green Building Council
- Center for Biological Diversity
- City of Spokane--Sustainability
- Climate Central
- Climate Impacts Group
- Climate Progress
- Climate Solutions -- Olympia
- Climate Watch, California
- Committee on the Environment - AIA
- Dirty Cajuns
- Down to Earth Northwest
- Earth Charter
- Earth Day National
- Engineers without Borders-USA
- Fuse Washington
- Futurewise of Washington
- Gulf Coast Photography
- Inhabitat -- (design will save the world)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Local Governments for Sustainability
- Low Power Community Radio -- Spokane
- Model Forest Policy Program
- New Urbanism
- Northwest Climate Change Center
- On Earth
- Planners' News
- Project for Public Spaces
- Real Climate
- Save Our Wild Salmon
- Smart Growth On Line
- Spokane Based Conservation -- Lands Council
- Sustainable Architecture, Building, Culture
- Sustainable Spokane
- The Green Architect
- Tree Hugger
- Western Climate Initiative
- Yale 360