Saturday, April 3, 2010
Photos, Spokane, Youth, Forty Years -- Earth Day, handing over the baton to new blood
Great stuff, being a teacher, activist, motivator, and, yes, bull-headed about not giving an inch in this world of tipping points, positive feedback loops, and just plain ecosystems collapse. We'll look at the value of the Academy Award winning documentary, The Cove, in a real immediate blog. And the movie, Creation, about Darwin and his wife, Emma, based on a cool book,
Annie's Box: Charles Darwin, His Daughter and Human Evolution by Randal Keynes
Yes, the 1859 publication of On the Origin of Species is the greatest event in human intellect, by far, hands down, no matter what side of any religious debate you might fall on.
But for now, let's celebrate an SFCC graduate of the photography program. Jesse Swanson is all about looking at his environs, graduate of University High, and now working in Charlie Gurche's office digitizing 25 years of Gurche's fabulous work as a wild land and outdoor photographer, featured in plenty of magazines and in Sierra Club books.
Jesse's work here exemplifies vision, art, an eye for his surroundings, and a belief that photography is a capstone on humanity's work in the world -- both good and bad work.
He's photographing Spokane for Down to Earth Northwest, and he's photographing Earth Day 2010, Spokane's event which will be broadcast on the Capitol Mall April 24 as the country celebrates Earth Day a week after Spokane does. All those images of Spokane on a Jumbo tron. Thanks, Jesse.
- ► 2011 (77)
- Let's Get Real Here -- Ocean Acidification is the ...
- Coral Research Key to Systems Thinking on Acidific...
- Spokane Hosts Ocean Expert May 4 -- This Seventy P...
- Photos of Earth Day in Spokane, thanks to the Comm...
- Earth Day, April 17, Spokane, April 22, the Date, ...
- Earth Day in Spokane -- Thanks to several thousand...
- Earth Justice, Earth Regard, Earth Struggle -- 40 ...
- Green Directory for Spokane -- It's Been up and Ru...
- Photos, Spokane, Youth, Forty Years -- Earth Day, ...
- ▼ April (9)
Links of Interest
- Architects with Out Borderers -- Seattle
- Architects without Borders
- Architecture 2030
- Architecture Sans Frontieres
- Auto Desk Sustainable Design
- Autodesk - Guide to Sustainable Design
- Cascadia Region Green Building Council
- Center for Biological Diversity
- City of Spokane--Sustainability
- Climate Central
- Climate Impacts Group
- Climate Progress
- Climate Solutions -- Olympia
- Climate Watch, California
- Committee on the Environment - AIA
- Dirty Cajuns
- Down to Earth Northwest
- Earth Charter
- Earth Day National
- Engineers without Borders-USA
- Fuse Washington
- Futurewise of Washington
- Gulf Coast Photography
- Inhabitat -- (design will save the world)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Local Governments for Sustainability
- Low Power Community Radio -- Spokane
- Model Forest Policy Program
- New Urbanism
- Northwest Climate Change Center
- On Earth
- Planners' News
- Project for Public Spaces
- Real Climate
- Save Our Wild Salmon
- Smart Growth On Line
- Spokane Based Conservation -- Lands Council
- Sustainable Architecture, Building, Culture
- Sustainable Spokane
- The Green Architect
- Tree Hugger
- Western Climate Initiative
- Yale 360