Thursday, January 14, 2010
Education -- The Key to Autodesk, PacifiCAD, 21st Century's Youth
As part of my mission as a teacher, writer, blogger, community activist, climate change commentator, radio show guy, and Earth Day 2010 Spokane coordinator, I believe we need to work on education NOW.
Here's the latest commentary:
College, the Last Refuge
Just when more people want to attend college, state governments are slicing higher-education budgets
Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed — that’s what we community college teachers expect after all the tra-la-la and merrymaking of the holiday and New Year’s break.
Unfortunately, that’s not what we’re seeing. Our students are a microcosm of American culture — and we just don’t know how to resist, or fight back anymore, according to clinical psychologist Bruce E. Levine in his book, Surviving America’s Depression Epidemic. He suggests that students accept enslaving debt and bureaucratic domination because they see college and university education as a badge “of compliance for corporate employers.”
....continue reading it at:
- ► 2011 (77)
- Food, Biofuel, Biochar -- Earth Beat Radio's On th...
- WSF -- Social Forum to Tackle Global Issues?
- NF3, Solar Panels, Unintended Consequences
- Haiti and the design community: To the Planning an...
- Louisiana and Sea Levels and another Katrina Event...
- No Smoking Guns with Hacked Emails -- 83 CEOs Ask ...
- Earth Seeds and Teaching the Young to See We are C...
- Education -- The Key to Autodesk, PacifiCAD, 21st ...
- Haiti Needs Help Now
- Another USA Climate Official Gets it Wrong
- Corn, Inputs, Pollution -- Filmmakers do Good by B...
- Biodiversity Counts -- For Humanity, For Food
- Global Climate Change Impacts -- Not Some TEA Part...
- The Power of a Cube
- Urban Forestry as an Important Component of Parks ...
- Michael Pollan, food writer, journalist, activist,...
- Portland State U -- Like MIT and Johns Hopkins? I...
- Post Carbon World -- Land Use, Buildings, Building...
- Don't Shoot the Real Reporters -- The Rise and Fal...
- High Five-ing the Next New Career Thing? Plannin...
- ▼ January (20)
Links of Interest
- Architects with Out Borderers -- Seattle
- Architects without Borders
- Architecture 2030
- Architecture Sans Frontieres
- Auto Desk Sustainable Design
- Autodesk - Guide to Sustainable Design
- Cascadia Region Green Building Council
- Center for Biological Diversity
- City of Spokane--Sustainability
- Climate Central
- Climate Impacts Group
- Climate Progress
- Climate Solutions -- Olympia
- Climate Watch, California
- Committee on the Environment - AIA
- Dirty Cajuns
- Down to Earth Northwest
- Earth Charter
- Earth Day National
- Engineers without Borders-USA
- Fuse Washington
- Futurewise of Washington
- Gulf Coast Photography
- Inhabitat -- (design will save the world)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Local Governments for Sustainability
- Low Power Community Radio -- Spokane
- Model Forest Policy Program
- New Urbanism
- Northwest Climate Change Center
- On Earth
- Planners' News
- Project for Public Spaces
- Real Climate
- Save Our Wild Salmon
- Smart Growth On Line
- Spokane Based Conservation -- Lands Council
- Sustainable Architecture, Building, Culture
- Sustainable Spokane
- The Green Architect
- Tree Hugger
- Western Climate Initiative
- Yale 360