Thursday, January 21, 2010
Haiti and the design community: To the Planning and Drafting Tables?
Millions are in danger in Haiti. What do planners and designers and architects have to say about the rebuilding of Haiti? $10 billion to do that. Listen to the discussion. These are times when the design, software, engineering and planning communities need to reach out to agencies who are working 24/7 to help Haitians survive, help those hundreds of thousands injured, and how to reclaim some vision for the more than 200,000 who have probably been killed after the first shock waves of the earth quake.
Haiti's catastrophe has killed thousands and destroyed Port-au-Prince, once a jewel in the Caribbean. We look at the architecture past, present and -- possibly -- future in Haiti's heart. Is there a design solution to the desperate need for low-cost housing in overpopulated cities? Can good design trump political mayhem? We hear from experts here and from Haiti: historian Patrick Sylvain, Architecture for Humanity's founder Cameron Sinclair, Global Green's Ted Bardacke, Alejandra Lillo, co-creator of Make It Right, and others.
- ► 2011 (77)
- Food, Biofuel, Biochar -- Earth Beat Radio's On th...
- WSF -- Social Forum to Tackle Global Issues?
- NF3, Solar Panels, Unintended Consequences
- Haiti and the design community: To the Planning an...
- Louisiana and Sea Levels and another Katrina Event...
- No Smoking Guns with Hacked Emails -- 83 CEOs Ask ...
- Earth Seeds and Teaching the Young to See We are C...
- Education -- The Key to Autodesk, PacifiCAD, 21st ...
- Haiti Needs Help Now
- Another USA Climate Official Gets it Wrong
- Corn, Inputs, Pollution -- Filmmakers do Good by B...
- Biodiversity Counts -- For Humanity, For Food
- Global Climate Change Impacts -- Not Some TEA Part...
- The Power of a Cube
- Urban Forestry as an Important Component of Parks ...
- Michael Pollan, food writer, journalist, activist,...
- Portland State U -- Like MIT and Johns Hopkins? I...
- Post Carbon World -- Land Use, Buildings, Building...
- Don't Shoot the Real Reporters -- The Rise and Fal...
- High Five-ing the Next New Career Thing? Plannin...
- ▼ January (20)
Links of Interest
- Architects with Out Borderers -- Seattle
- Architects without Borders
- Architecture 2030
- Architecture Sans Frontieres
- Auto Desk Sustainable Design
- Autodesk - Guide to Sustainable Design
- Cascadia Region Green Building Council
- Center for Biological Diversity
- City of Spokane--Sustainability
- Climate Central
- Climate Impacts Group
- Climate Progress
- Climate Solutions -- Olympia
- Climate Watch, California
- Committee on the Environment - AIA
- Dirty Cajuns
- Down to Earth Northwest
- Earth Charter
- Earth Day National
- Engineers without Borders-USA
- Fuse Washington
- Futurewise of Washington
- Gulf Coast Photography
- Inhabitat -- (design will save the world)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Local Governments for Sustainability
- Low Power Community Radio -- Spokane
- Model Forest Policy Program
- New Urbanism
- Northwest Climate Change Center
- On Earth
- Planners' News
- Project for Public Spaces
- Real Climate
- Save Our Wild Salmon
- Smart Growth On Line
- Spokane Based Conservation -- Lands Council
- Sustainable Architecture, Building, Culture
- Sustainable Spokane
- The Green Architect
- Tree Hugger
- Western Climate Initiative
- Yale 360